We almost take for granted the role the refrigerator plays in our daily life. Nearly everything we eat will have been in the refrigerator at some point. Follow these simple rules to keep refrigerated foods fresh and safe.
1. The temperature in the refrigerator should be 40 F and the freezer temperature should be below 0.
2. When keeping meat, poultry and fish in the fridge keep it in a well sealed container at the bottom shelf, to prevent dripping. When freezing wrap well with foil or cling film to prevent freezer burn.
3. Cooked food should be cooled immediately and stored in the fridge in covered storage in containers and use within two days. Putting hot food in the fridge will raise the temperature in the fridge which will promote bacterial growth.
4. Place eggs in the box on a shelf and not on the door.
5. Always transfer food from open cans to storage containers before refrigerating to avoid the metal leaking to the food.
6. Avoid opening the door frequently.
7. Do not store foods beyond the use by date.
8. Clean the fridge regularly to prevent cross contamination of foods.